· Four in ten youths attend college in Uttarakhand’
ð Nearly four out of every ten youths in Uttarakhand, aged between 18 and 23 years, attend college, showed the data recently released by the All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE). The Himalayan state’s Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) was the sixth best in the country, placing it in the list of states with the highest ratio of young people attending college.
ð Uttarakhand’s GER was also significantly higher at 39, better than the national average of 26.3.
ð The GER among Schedule Tribes (ST) was even higher, at 48, indicating that nearly half of the state’s ST community members were in college. However, the ratio was lower among Schedule Caste (SC) members, as the data showed only 30 per cent of them were in college.
ð The survey also showed that Uttarakhand had the seventh-best college density, at 37 colleges for every one lakh students. The average number of students studying in these colleges is 641. Twenty-four of these colleges offer specialisation in Sanskrit, 21 of them offer teacher training courses and 16 in engineering courses.
ð Another reason to celebrate for Uttarakhand is the fact that its Gender Parity Index (GPI) is close to one, which means equal number of men and women attend higher studies in the state. However, the gender parity among faculty members was not as heartening. Out of 2,143 professors, the data showed only 498 are women and the rest 76.7 per cent of the job share is occupied by men.
· World Tourism Day is observed on 27 September
- World Tourism Day is observed on 27 Septemberevery year. For the first time, India is hosting the World Tourism Day. The Day aims to raise awareness about the role of tourism around the world. It also ensures to promote social, cultural, political and economic values.
- The theme for the 2019 World Tourism Day is Tourism and Jobs: a better future for all.
- The theme focuses on:
The need for fresh policies to maximize the potential of tourism. It is expected that new policies can create more and better jobs, especially for youth and women.
To create jobs in tourism as it is required to reflect and incorporate ongoing advances in technology. Tourism is generating 10% of world jobs.
- Exercise MALABAR 2019
- The 23rd edition of the Trilateral Maritime Exercise MALABAR is scheduled between the navies of India, Japan and the USA from 26 Sep to 04 Oct 19 off the coast of Japan.
- MALABAR 2019 would endeavour to further strengthen India – Japan – US Naval cooperation and enhance interoperability, based on shared values and principles.
- Two frontline indigenously designed and built Indian Naval Ships, the Multipurpose Guided Missile Frigate Sahyadri and ASW Corvette Kiltan, will participate in the Exercise.
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS Varaha
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh commissioned the Indian Coast Guard Ship ICGS Varaha at a special function held at Chennai Port.
- The ship is the fourth in the series of seven offshore patrol vessels of the Coast Guard.
- It will be based at New Mangalore in Karnataka under the Western Command.
- The 98-metre offshore patrol vessel ICGS Varaha has been designed and constructed indigenously.
- It is capable of carrying a twin-engine helicopter and four high-speed boats for swift boarding, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrolling operations.
· UIDAI asked govt. to enact a new law to link Aadhaar to social media
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) has sought govt. to enact a new law to link Aadhaar to social mediaaccounts of individuals. The current law enables the use of a unique identity for its schemes and subsidies.
- Earlier, Supreme Court (SC)warned the government of India about the privacy implications of linking Aadhaar to social media accounts. UIDAI has issued strong disapproval of the potential move. UIDAI has clearly stated that the government should enact a new law to link Aadhaar to social media accounts of individuals.
UIDAI stated that the current legislation only enables the use of Aadhaar for schemes and subsidies funded under the Consolidated Fund of India. For schemes outside the fund, a new law is needed.
- Recently, the Ministry of electronics and information technology (MeitY) sought UIDAI’s view after the Supreme Court had urged the central government to state its opinion on the issue.
· Centre launched CPGRAMS reforms in the Department of Posts
- The government under the leadership of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has launched Centralised Public Grievances Redress and Monitoring System (CPGRAMs) reforms in the Department of Posts.It was launched by the Minister of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions Dr. Jitendra Singh in New Delhi on 25 September 2019.
The newly launched CPGRAMS will reduce the grievance disposaltime and improve the quality of grievance redressal. This mechanism is now institutionalized with the number of grievances lodged increasing from 2 lakh earlier to about 16 lakhs now.
· Centre launched TB Harega Desh Jeetega Campaign
- Centre launched the new Tuberculosis (TB) Harega Desh Jeetega Campaignon 25 September. It was launched by Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare. As part of the Ministry’s commitment toend-TB, it has established patient forums in over 95% of all districts in the first 100 days. These district forums are expected to highlight on-ground challenges faced by patients and their families in accessing TB care services.
- The TB Harega Desh Jeetega Campaign is committed to ensuring all the TB patients receive free-of-cost, high-quality TB care. It aims to improve and expand the reach of pan India TB care services by 2022.Care will be provided irrespective of where the patients seek care including the private sector.
- Harsh Vardhan also flagged off a van for theNational TB Prevalence Survey. Under the prevalence survey, 25 such vans will take 6 months and carried out across the country. It is expected to present national and state-level data. It will be used as a policy tool for further interventions.
- Centre’s partnership with the World Bank to provide a$400 million credit was announced. The partnership aims to accelerate TB response in 9 states through private sector engagement and other critical interventions.
UKPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for UKPCS Prelims and UKPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by UKPCS Notes are as follows:-
- UKPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims Exam 2020- Test Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes