State to have cost-effective Bamboo schools
The buildings of the schools in Uttarakhand would now be made up of Bamboo.
These schools would be constructed by the Bamboo board. It is learnt that a sum of only Rs 16 lakh would be spent in construction of building of a primary school by using Bamboo as principal raw material.
Normally, an amount of Rs 25 lakh is spent in construction of a school building.
The estimated life of these Bamboo buildings is about 50 years.
Apart from saving cost of construction, these eco-friendly buildings would also encourage large-scale plantation of Bamboo in the state.
- India-Netherland: “Water 4 change”, an urban water management system
- The Centre for Water Resources Development and Management (CWRDM), operating under the Government of Kerala has launched the “Water 4 Change”.
- Under the project, six prominent institutions from Netherlands will perform a long-term research and field level action on urban water management systems along with Indian scientists.
- The project will bring solutions for water problems in the cities of Kozhikode, Shimla, Bhuj and Bhopal.
- The CWRDM was established by the Government of Kerala to cater the needs of research and development in water management of the state.
- Child Rights and You’ Report on Crime against Children in India
- The Child Rights and You recently released a report “How Vulnerable are Children in India to crime” The report was based on the analysis of National Crime Records Bureau for 2016-17.
- The report says that the states of Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh topped the list of states for crimes against children.
- The highest increase in crimes between the years 2016 and 2017 was seen in Jharkhand.
- The Child labor in the country saw a substantial increase of 126%. The report says that in 2016 child labor was 204 and it increased to 462 in 2017.
- As far as Child Marriage is concerned there was an increase of 21.17%. The numbers were based on the cases registered under Prohibition of Child Marriage Act (PCMA), 2006.
- Taxation Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 introduced in Lok Sabha
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduced the Taxation Laws (Amendment) Bill, 2019 in the Lok Sabha.
- The Bill provides domestic companies with a new option to pay tax at the rate of 22 per cent, provided they do not claim certain deductions under the IT Act.
- Currently, domestic companies with an annual turnover of up to 400 crore rupees pay income tax at the rate of 25 per cent.
- For other domestic companies, the tax rate is 30 per cent.
- The Bill also provides new domestic manufacturing companies with an option to pay income tax at the rate of 15 percent, provided they do not claim certain deductions.
- PM Modi launches Fit India School grading system in schools across India
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has launched the Fit India School grading system in schools across the country. The grading will be in 3 categories.
- Ranking system: Schools can declare themselves as fit by visiting the Fit India portal and the rankings will be assigned after survey. Fit India School rankings are divided into 3 categories-
Fit India Schools, which is the first level of ranking
Fit India School three star (3 star)
Fit India School five star (5 star)
- National Child Labour Project
- The National Child Labour Project (NCLP) Scheme is a Central Sector Scheme. Under this Scheme the District Project Societies (DPS) are set up at the district level under the Chairmanship of the Collector/District Magistrate for overseeing the implementation of the project.
- Under this Scheme, funds are provided directly to the District Project Societies who in turn engage and allocate the funds to NGOs/Voluntary Agencies/Civil Societies Organization etc. for running of Special Training Centers.
- Under this Scheme, the children in the age group of 9-14 years are withdrawn from work and put into NCLP Special Training Centers, where they are provided with bridge education, vocational training, mid-day meal, stipend, health care etc.
- India to host naval drill Milan 2020 in March
- The Indian Navy will host military drill ‘Milan 2020’ in March which will witness the participation of several countries.
- MILAN stands for ‘Multilateral Naval Exercise’.
- 41 nations from South Asia, Southeast Asia, Africa and Europe that share defense cooperation with India have been invited for the drill.
- “The government pursues cooperation initiatives with friendly foreign countries, including in Indian Ocean Region, through structured interactions like Staff Talks, Empowered Steering Group”.
- Hardeep Puri launched portal for subsidy scheme under PMAY
- Union minister Hardeep Singh Puri launched CLSS Awas Portal through which people seeking to avail housing subsidy under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojna (PMAY)-Urban will be able to track their applications.
- At the launch of the Credit Link Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) Awas Yojana, the Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister said that grievances of beneficiaries will be addressed in a much comprehensive and organized manner.