- Uttarakhand first to use ultrasound on wild animals
- For the first time in the country, ultrasound will be performed on wild animals to detect pregnancy before administering reproduction control method on them. The Uttarakhand government granted certification to the Wildlife Institute of India (WII) as part of its sterilization project to address man-animal conflict.
- At present, the machine will be used to detect pregnancy in wild boars, monkeys, neel gais and elephants. The initiative is part of WII’s three year project worth Rs 10 crore under the Union environment ministry, in collaboration with National Institute of Immunology, New Delhi.
- The state government has granted us certification to use ultrasound machines for detection of pregnancy in wild animals. Dynamics of using ultra sound machines are different for humans and wild animals. In case of humans, it is used to determine the gender and safety whereas, in wild animals, the test is done to confirm pregnancy and then the animal is released in the wild undisturbed.
- Portable ultrasound machine will be procured so that tests could be conducted as per the location of the animal.
- Romania to have first female prime minister, Viorica Dancila
- Viorica Dancila has been named as Romania’s first female PM following the sudden resignation of Mihai Tudose.
- Ms Dancila, a member of the European Parliament, is regarded as an ally of the governing Social Democratic Party (PSD) leader Liviu Dragnea.
- Ms Dancila, 54, is Romania’s third prime minister in seven months.
· Google awarded 72 lakh for finding bugs in Pixel phone
- Google awarded nearly 72 lakh to researcher Guang Gong for finding bugs in its Pixel devices.
- The exploit chain consisted of two bugs which together could inject arbitrary code into system server by accessing a malicious URL in Chrome.
- Around 67 lakh of the reward was given from Google’s Android Security Rewards program, the highest in the program’s history.
· India Ratings Projects Economic Growth at 7.1 Next Fiscal
- India Ratings and Research have projected the country’s economic growth to improve to 1 percentin 2018-19 from 6.5 percent in 2017-18, buoyed by robust consumer demand and low commodity prices.
- In its outlook for 2018-19, according to the agency, there will be a gradual pickup in growth momentum owing to structural reforms like GST and Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code in place.
- The projection is a tad lower than 7.4 percent growth estimated by Asian Development Bank and International Monetary Fund for next fiscal.
- Government to set up $350 million fund to finance solar projects
- Government will set up a $350 million fund to finance solar projects, as the country steps up efforts to achieve its ambitious target of adding 175 gigawatts (GW) in renewable energy by 2022.
- India will need at least $125 billion to fund a plan to increase the share of renewable power supply in the country’s grid by 2022.
- The country, which receives twice as much sunshine as European nations, wants to make solar central to its renewable expansion.
- Installed renewable power capacity is currently about 60 GW
· HDFC Bank Becomes 1st Indian Bank to Cross Rs5 trillion Market Capitalisation
- India’s most-valued lender HDFC Bank Limitedcrossed Rs5 trillion capitalization action for the first time, making it only the third Indian company to achieve this milestone.
- In intraday trade, the stock touched a fresh record high of Rs1,53.75 on the BSE, up 3.31% from its previous close.
- Tata Consultancy Services Ltd (TCS) and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) are the other two companies which crossed market capitalisation of Rs5 trillion.
· NPPA fixes retail price of 30 drug formulations
- Drug price regulator National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA)fixed retail price for 30 drug formulations, including those used for the treatment of Diabetics, bacterial infections, and high blood pressure.
- NPPA is an independent body under Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers. It was set up in 1997.
- Its mandate is to fix/review.
- Essential medicines are those that satisfy the priority health care needs of the country’s population.
· Maharashtra becomes first state to unveil Public Cloud Policy
- Maharashtra became the first state in the country to unveil Public Cloud Policy that virtually mandates state government departments to shift their data storage.
- The State Government had formed a four-member committee to draft policy framework on cloud usage.
- The policy will result in additional private sector investments worth the US $2 billion for cloud industry as the government is one of biggest creators.
· Virat Kohli named as Captain of ICCs Test and ODI Teams of the Year
- Virat Kohli was named the captain of the International Cricket Council (ICC) Test and One-Day International (ODI) teams of the year that included four other Indians as well.
- Kohli scored 2,023 runs at 77.80, including eight centuries and three half-centuries in 18 matches during the qualification period.
- He surprisingly pipped Australian skipper Steve Smith for the ICC’s Test team captaincy.
- The Test team also comprises Cheteshwar Pujara and Ravichandran Ashwin.