- U’khand Govt Launches ‘Solar Briefcase’ For Remote Areas
- The Uttarakhand Government is committed to fulfil the dream of Prime Minister Narendra Modi about providing power in every household and all the non-electrified houses in the State would be provided power either through grid or off grid by the year 2019.
- The Uttarakhand Government and a charitable funding agency on Sunday launched ‘Solar Briefcase’. In the programme, 101 families located in remote areas were provided solar briefcases and power packs by the Hans foundation.
· International Day of the Girl Child is observed on 11 October
- 11th October marked is marked as the International Day of the Girl Child.
- The day theme is The Power of the Adolescent Girl: Vision for 2030.
- The main aim of the day is to highlight and address the needs and challenges girls face while promoting girls’ empowerment and the fulfillment of their human rights.
· Japan launches fourth Michibiki satellite for hi-tech GPS
- The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) successfully launched Michibiki-4 satellite (QZSS-4) onboard of H-IIA rocket from Tanegashima Space Centre.
- It was the fourth satellite in Michibiki series i.e. Quasi-Zenith Satellite System (QZSS), which is a satellite-based high-precision global positioning system.
- Michibiki-4is third QZSS satellite to be launched in 2017 and once operational it will bring the constellation of QZSS to its operating capacity of four until a planned expansion to 8 satellites occurs around 2023.
- Madhu Valli from USA crowned Miss India Worldwide
- Madhu Valli, an emerging hip hop artist and a student of criminal law at George Mason University in Virginia, has been crowned as Miss India Worldwide 2017.
- Stephanie Madavane from France was declared runner up at the 26th edition of the beauty pageant held in New Jersey.
- The beauty pageant attracts people of Indian origin from across the world.
- Sarita Pattnaik from Texas was declared Mrs India Worldwide.
- Organised by New York-based India Festival Committee, Miss India Worldwide is the only international Indian pageant with affiliates in over 35 countries and considered among the top ethnic pageants in the world.
- IMF cuts India’s 2017 growth forecast
- The International Monetary Fund (IMF) pared its growth forecast for India by half a percentage point to 6.7% for 2017.
- In its latest World Economic Outlook, IMF said the world economy is going through a cyclical upswing that began midway through 2016.
- It raised the global growth estimate marginally for 2017 to 3.6% while flagging downside risks.
· ICICI Bank Aid to Armed Forces
- ICICI Bankthe country’s largest private sector bank by consolidated assets, committed financial assistance of 10 crores to the Indian Armed Forces.
- This contribution by ICICI Bank would be made in two equal tranches. This fund will be used for two programs.
- The first will support post-graduation education of the widows of the soldiers and education for their wards.
- The second program will provide financial assistance for marriages of the daughters of ex-servicemen.
· Union Government approved Rs 2,000 crore to set up Aadhaar units in Post offices
- The Central Government approved Rs 2,000 crore for setting up Aadhaar centers in post offices.
- The centers will have machines approved by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) and trained personnel who will be responsible for the operations.
- By March 81, 2018, Government will set up Aadhaar enrolment and update facilities in around 15,000 post offices.
- Kempegowda Airport will be India’s first Aadhaar-enabled airport
- Bengaluru’s Kempegowda International Airport (KIA) is all set to be become country’s first Aadhaar-enabled airport by 2018.
- After a two-month pilot project in February, Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) has decided to make KIA fully compliant with Aadhaaar-enabled entry and biometric boarding system.