. This Act has added a new Part IX-A to the Constitution of India. It is entitled ‘The Municipalities’ and consists of provisions from Articles 243-P to 243-ZG. In addition, the act has also added a new Twelfth Schedule to the Constitution. This schedule contains eighteen functional items of municipalities.
It deals with Article 243-W. The act gave constitutional status to the municipalities. It has brought them under the purview of justiciable part of the Constitution. In other words, state governments are under constitutional obligation to adopt the new system of municipalities in accordance with the provisions of the act. The act aims at revitalising and strengthening the urban governments so that they function effectively as units of local government.
Three Types of Municipalities
The act provides for the constitution of the following three types of municipalities in every state.
- A nagar panchayat (by whatever name called) for a transitional area, that is, an area in transition from a rural area to an urban area.
- A municipal council for a smaller urban area.
- A municipal corporation for a larger urban area .
All the members of a municipality shall be elected directly by the people of the municipal area. For this purpose, each municipal area shall be divided into territorial constituencies to be known as wards. The state legislature may provide the manner of election of the chairperson of a municipality. It may also provide for the representation of the following persons in a municipality.
- Persons having special knowledge or experience in municipal administration without the right to vote in the meetings of municipality.
- The members of the Lok Sabha and the state legislative assembly representing constituencies that comprise wholly or partly the municipal area.
- The members of the Rajya Sabha and the state legislative council registered as electors within the municipal area.
- The chairpersons of committees (other than wards committees).
UKPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for UKPCS Prelims and UKPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by UKPCS Notes are as follows:-
- UKPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes