Heavy industry relates to a type of business that typically carries a high capital cost (capital-intensive), high barriers to entry and low transportability. The term “heavy” refers to the fact that the items produced by “heavy industry” used to be products such as iron, coal, oil, ships, etc.
Location factors are as follows:
- Availability of raw material example coal mines( for coking coal), iro ore eg. Iron and steel industries in chotanagpur plateau.
- Availability of water( damodar valley project)
- Cheap electricity
- Cheap labour
- Fine infrastructure in the form roads, railways and ports
- Manpower availability
- Banking and credit facility availability
- Peaceful environment
- Stable policies and regulations of ruling dispensation