Five main type of soil are found in the state:
- Tertiary soil: found in shivalik and Doon valley ,this soil is suitable for production of tea.
- Cord soil: the soil contains shell cysts and quarts.this is light and unproductive soil found in nainital district.
- Volcanic soil: the soil is found in the mountain slopes of the state.
- Alluvial soil: the soil is found in lower slopes of shivalik range and dun valley containing lime, iron and biological remains and is very suitable for agriculture.
- Grey soil: the major contents of this soil is lime but it is short of productive element and it is found in nainital , mussorrie and chakarata.