- NGT orders closure of 8 units in Sitarganj
- The National Green Tribunal has ordered closure of eight industrial units in Uttarakhand’s Sitarganj area after the Central Pollution Control Board found them violating pollution norms.
- The tribunal also directed the CPCB to submit a report with respect to the remaining industries which they have already inspected and submit the analysis report by June 18.
- It had earlier directed the CPCB to inspect and take samples from industries located in the vicinity of Uttarakhand village of Siddh Garbyang so that the polluting units can be shut.
- India improves its childhood index global ranking
- India has been placed at 113th position in the list of 175 countries in “End of Childhood Index 2018” indexed by global child rights group, Save the Children.
- The overall score of India in 2018 rose by 14 points from 754 in 2017 to 768 on a scale of 1000.
- Singapore and Slovenia are placed at the top sharing the first place in the index and Niger figures at the end of the list at 175.
- India and World Bank signs $500 Million Financing for Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana
- The Government of India and the World Bank signed a $500 million loan agreement to provide additional financing for the Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana (PMGSY) Rural Roads Project, implemented by Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India, which will build 7,000 km of climate resilient roads, out of which 3,500 km will be constructed using green technologies.
- The World Bank has supported PMGSY since its inception in 2004.
- So far it has invested over $1.8 billion in loans and credits mostly in the economically weaker and hill states across North India – Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Meghalaya, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand, and Uttar Pradesh.
- It has built and improved about 35,000 km of rural roads and benefited about eight million people with access to all-weather roads.
· Indian Economy Grows 7.7% In 4th Quarter: Central Statistics Data
- The Indian economy grew 7%in the fourth quarter of 2017-18.
- The GDP had expanded 5.6%, 6.3%, and 7%, in the first three quarters of 2017-18, according to the data released by Central Statistics Office.
- As per the Data, robust performance in manufacturing, construction and service sectors, as well as good farm output, contributed to the overall growth.
- The previous high GDP growth of 8.1% was recorded in the first quarter of 2016-17.
· Indian Oil Most Profitable PSU for second Straight Year
- Indian Oil Corporationemerged as India’s most profitable state-owned company for the second consecutive year.
- Indian Oil posted a record profit of Rs21,346 crore in 2017-18, followed by ONGC, whose profit stood at Rs19,945 crore.
- Mukesh Ambani-led Reliance Industries is the most profitable company for the third straight year, posting highest ever profit of Rs36,075 crore.
- Government introduces new scheme ‘Seva Bhoj Yojna’
- The Ministry of Culture, Government of India has introduced a new scheme namely ‘Seva Bhoj Yojna’ with a total outlay of Rs. 325.00 Crores for Financial Years 2018-19 and 2019-20.
- The scheme envisages to reimburse the Central Government share of Central Goods and Services Tax (CGST) and Integrated Goods and Service Tax (IGST) on purchase of raw items such as ghee, edible oil, atta/maida/rava/flour , rice pulses, sugar, burra/jiggery etc which go into preparation of food/Prasad/langar/bhandara offered free of cost by religious institutions.
- The objective of the scheme is to lessen the financial burden of such Charitable Religious Institutions who provide Food/Prasad/Langar (Community Kitchen)/Bhandara free of cost without any discrimination to Public/Devotees.