- Uttarakhand only state among EAG states to show negative health growth: Niti Aayog report
- In news which shows that all is not well in the state’s health sector, a report released by Niti Aayog on Friday, titled ‘Healthy states, progressive India’, listed Uttarakhand as the only state which has shown negative growth (-0.10) among the eight Empowered Action Group (EAG) states of the country, which are regarded as socio-economically backward. The report which pertains to the period between 2014-15 and 2015-16, categorised Uttarakhand among the states having NI (Not Improved) status, ie those states which have done little to improve their health conditions. The Himalayan state’s rankings slipped from 14th in 2014-15 to 15th in the overall composite index score, a weighted composite index based on indicators in three domains — health outcomes, governance and information, and key inputs and processes. In comparison, Jharkhand, another EAG state, scored impressively on the composite index score improving its ranking from 14th position earlier to 18th.
- The report also highlighted the Himalayan state’s poor mother and child healthcare statistics which had been pointed out by the Sample Registration System survey prepared by the ministry of home affairs as well last year.
- The Neonatal Mortality Rate (NMR) or the number of neonatal deaths (occurring in the first 28 days of the birth of a child) increased in Uttarakhand (from 26 in 2014-15 to 28 in 2015-16), putting it in the dubious company of states like Haryana and Bihar where a similar rise was reported. The U5MR (which indicates the probability of a child dying before attaining the age of 5) also increased only in three states of the country — Uttarakhand ( from 36 in 2014-15 to 38 in 2015-16), Maharashtra (from 23 to 24) and Haryana (from 40 to 43).
- The state didn’t fare well in other critical parameters, too, like sex ratio at birth or the number of girls born for every 1000 boys born during a specific year. The state’s sex ratio dipped from 871 in 2014-15 to 844 in 2015-16, indicating that the number of girls born in the one-year period had dipped in the Himalayan state.
- In terms of institutional deliveries (childbirth taking place at health facilities), Uttarakhand registered a dip as well with the percentage of such deliveries falling from 64.3 in 2014-15 to 62.6 in 2015-16.
· Intel sets a Guinness world record with 1,218 drones at 2018 Winter Olympic Games
- The opening ceremony of the Winter Olympic Games 2018 saw a record-setting performance of 1,218 drones (unmanned aerial vehicles), flying in sync to create huge formations of various Olympic sports and the iconic Olympic rings. This record was set by Intel.
- The drones set a world record for the ‘most unmanned aerial vehicles airborne simultaneously,’ which was previously held by 500 drones during a 2016 performance in Germany.
· Sister of North Korean leader meets the president of South Korea 1st time in the 2018 Winter Olympics
- Kim Yo Jong, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un’s sister and close adviser, just sat down for a historic meeting with the president of South Korea in the latest surprising development to come out of the North’s decision to participate in the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang.
- North and South Korea marched together under one flag at the Olympics.
- Swachh Bharat Sanitation Park” inaugurated in Delhi
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, in collaboration with the Environmental Sanitation Institute and Tata Trusts, has developed a Sanitation Park which was inaugurated in the Capital by Union Minister, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Sushri Uma Bharti, and Secretary, Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation, Shri ParameswaranIyer.
- The Sanitation Park was developed at CGO Complex in New Delhi with an objective to create awareness on various safe technological options.
- The Park demonstrates various options pertaining to toilet technologies and solid and liquid waste management technologies, with a brief description of these technologies.
- Shri RK Singh launches ASH TRACK Mobile App
- Union Minister of State (IC) for Power and New & Renewable Energy, Shri R.K Singh, launched a Web based monitoring System and a Fly Ash mobile application named ASH TRACK.
- These platforms will enable better management of the ash produced by thermal power plants by providing an interface between fly ash producers (Thermal Power Plants) and potential ash users such as – road contractors, cement plants etc.
- WCD Ministry to set up National Women Entrepreneurship Council
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is considering to establish National Women Entrepreneurship Council (NWEC).
- NWEC will promote entrepreneurship as it would be the umbrella organization for socio-economic gender parity, financial inclusion and economic empowerment of women in India.
- This information was given by Minister of State for Women and Child Development, Dr. Virendra Kumar in reply to a question in Lok Sabha.
- Reliance Industries wins Golden Peacock Award 2017 for CSR
- Reliance Industries (RIL) said it has been awarded the Golden Peacock Award 2017 for corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives.
- The award was a recognition of the work done by its CSR arm Reliance Foundation under Founder and Chairman Nita Ambani.
- Golden Peacock Awards, instituted by the Institute Of Directors (IOD) in 1991 in India, are regarded as a benchmark of Corporate Excellence.
- Bengaluru to get electric vehicle charging points across the city
- Bengaluru city has the highest number of electric car owners in India, with over 6,000 electric vehicles.
- Now, the government is planning to install 11public charging points for e-vehicles.
- The first charging point will be opened for public from February 15th. It is located at the KR Circle at Bescom’s corporate office.
- Currently, Mahindra is the only manufacturer that commercially sells electric vehicles in India. In the future, manufacturers like Tata, Maruti Suzuki, Toyota and Hyundai have plans to launch electric vehicles in the Indian market too.
UKPCS Notes brings Prelims and Mains programs for UKPCS Prelims and UKPCS Mains Exam preparation. Various Programs initiated by UKPCS Notes are as follows:-
- UKPCS Mains Tests and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims Exam 2022- Test Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Prelims and Mains Tests Series and Notes Program
- UKPCS Detailed Complete Prelims Notes